AFCM Queens Gardens Concert
At Queens Gardens on 30th July 2023 at 4:00pm
The Barrier Reef Orchestra performed with soloists from the Australian Festival of Chamber Music (AFCM) in the ever-popular Queens Gardens Concert. The orchestra was augmented by five members of the 1RAR Band and five members of the visiting US Army. BRO’s Artistic Director Theodore Kuchar also joined the orchestra, playing viola.
The programme included a range of poular classics and film themes.
Featuring our guest conductor Andrew RyderAndrew has conducted the Barrier Reef Orchestra for several concerts, including the Queens Gardens concerts in collaboration with AFCM, BRO goes to the Movies, World Music Concert celebrating Townsville 150 and a BRO children’s concert featuring Peter and the Wolf. Andrew has also been rehearsal conductor for many concerts. When not on the conductors’ podium, Andrew leads the BRO horn section.
- La Peri: Fanfare
- Lawrence of Arabia: Overture
- Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D Major, Op. 39 No. 1
John Barnes Chance
- Variations on a Korean Folksong
- Meditation from Thais (with Jack Liebeck, violin)
- The Wizard of Oz: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (with Racehlle Durkin, soprano)
Franz Joseph Haydn
- Trumpet Concerto in E flat major (with David Elton, trumpet)
- Medley of film themes
- Pines of Rome: Pines of the Appian Way
- My Island Home (with Liz Cherry, vocals)
Photo Credit: Julian Summers